Sunday, February 13, 2011

Iceland & Norwegian Fjord Horses & Folk Schools

Iceland has been popping up recently. Several weeks ago I finished an interesting mystery story called Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason. It is subtitled "A Reykjavik Thriller". It was quite good and introduced me to the concept of the "gene pool" on Iceland and the character Inspector Erlendur.  I also read somewhere that Iceland does not allow other horses into the country but I do not know if that is true.

Recently I received an email from an Icelander in Minnesota named Jon who has a wonderful horse farm called North Coast Fjord and Stables. I mentioned him briefly in my prior post. I just received a message from him that made me want to hop on a plane and visit Iceland. The tourism bureau needs to think seriously about putting him on their payroll. Checking out the web sites he suggested I found this video on youtube.  I got so excited about visiting the national park information center.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjNIcEIYA3I&feature=player_embedded#t=0s


Visiting Jon's website and seeing their farm and Norwegian Fjord Horses is a visual treat. Here is just a little sample.


Even though I would love to ride on their farm, I am frugal enough to not be able to justify a trip to MN from CA for a trail ride. However, following the links he suggested for the surrounding area, I found something that I might be able to justify a small MN holiday. There is a Folk School in the area and attending a Scandinavian style Folk School is on my wish list. There are not many in North America and the The North House Folk School stole my heart. 

I find it amazing how we can share information with each other over the internet so that our knowledge and horizons expand. Thank you Jon. I am not going to meet "a horse" again without inquiring about it's family and how they are doing.  








1 comment:

Jon said...

Jar City is also supposed to be a very good movie. And yes, they do not allow other horses into Iceland. Any that leave can never return.